"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

What does the next 35 years hold?

I haven't talked as much as I would have liked about this Senior Center, and why I am so passionate about running this race in their honor and for their benefit. While long, I thought I would post the speech I gave at the 35th Anniversary Party we had two weeks ago. It may give you a glimpse into what this place is about.


"35 years ago, this community institution was begun by a volunteer, Ethel Gould, whose daughters honor her today by sponsoring this event. We are honored to be joined tonight by Debbie Anderson, who was a young social worker at the time who worked with Mrs. Gould to get Sno-Valley started, and also by two charter members of Sno-Valley Seniors, Norma Pearson and Essie Sarver – both, who I would mention, have children who are now seniors and serving on our board.


The volunteer roots that are at the heart of this Center began that day. This organization is unique in the caliber, and capacity, and commitment of our volunteers. It is those very volunteers who are keeping us not only open in this brutal economy, in which we’ve taken $100,000 of funding cuts in the last 3 years, but incredibly, EXPANDING our service offerings to the community.

This event is a perfect example of that. It has been entirely conceived, planned, and executed by volunteers.


It's my job tonight to share with you a bit about this place.

I could tell you about our 24,634 programs we offer in a year. But I’d rather tell you about Mike who uses a scooter, and after faithful attendance to our Enhance Fitness class is now able to rise out of his chair to do squats with the class.

I could tell you about the 1300 we serve annually, but I’d rather tell you about the one, who, though in poor health, moved independently to the mobile home park and attended our Center daily. When she died last year, her family made a point of telling us that we had given her 5 good years, years spent as her own free agent in her home, as opposed to her other option which was substandard assisted living.

I could report to you the amazing difference in outcomes that are connected to senior isolation versus seniors who are connected into and integrated with their society. I’d rather tell you about a love story between two lonely individuals, who met in our exercise class, and who now share a beautiful life together.

I could report our astounding statistic of 263 volunteers, but I’d rather ask you if you knew that Fran Carlson, senior volunteer and board member, hatched the plan to turn our little rental house into a community Thrift Store, and now spends 20-40 hours a week running it with the help of other volunteers.


There is something magical about this place. There is some sense of grace that emerges from the community here. It is truly a gift.


I am privileged to stand in this role at this time in this organization’s history. We are on the cusp of some incredible changes.


The ‘silver tsunami’ is beginning to trickle in our doors, changing the way we think about and care for our aging population.

The diversity in this Valley will begin to change as well, creating opportunity for us to throw wide open our doors of this place we love and share.

The public funding for this Center, while always small, will move to almost zero next year, providing incentive for us to come to you, our community, for your individual support of this Center, and forcing us to take a look at our financial and fee structure.


We are preparing for it.

We are launching new ways of being connected. Facebook, email, online registrations…

We are actively recruiting boomers on our board, so they can help guide us toward continued relevance for the younger seniors.

We are launching a 5 phase building campaign, which will create a renovated facility in which we can support these new endeavors.

I ask for your help. Spread the word, let people know we are here. Visit us again, for one of our many events, or for Zumba or our homemade lunch. Connect someone who is caring for an aging parent to the support we have to offer them. Sign up online for our newsletter and stay connected.


This is all done on behalf of you, and because of you. I truly thank each of you for the role, whether small or large, in helping this incredible place arrive at its 35th anniversary. And, I ask for your help in carrying us forward toward the next 35. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment