"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Options for getting there

Option One: Hitch a cheap and fun ride with the Sno-Valley Seniors!

A cheering crew from the Senior Center will be taking a van down. It's an hour travel to get to the race site. I would highly recommend this option, as its the simplest detail-wise, the cheapest, and might be fun to chat on the way down. The timing is designed to catch me coming in from the bike leg, cheer me off on the run leg, maybe catch me halfway on the run leg, and cheer for me at the BIG FINISH. While you're driving in comfort I'll be doing the swim and the bike portion.

If you want to ride in the big blue van, be sure to sign up so they know you're coming. Call at 425-333-4152, or you can tell me. They can accommodate car seats.

Departure: 9am from the Sno-Valley Senior Center.
Return: NOT PRECISE but estimate return anywhere from 12:45 - 1:45pm.
Cost: $3
Bring: a sack lunch, your cheering enthusiasm, signs and pom-poms if ya wanna get fancy.
Expect: a lot of standing, some walking, an electrifying crowd experience.

Option Two: Come on your own

This gives you flexibility as to when you come and for long, but you have to drive yourself an hour each way and deal with the shuttle.
Here is Nolte State Park location, the site of the race. Here is the travel info the race provides.

When you arrive you'll need to park in the lot 1.5 miles away from the park. They close the parking lot of the Park for athlete safety, and any shoulders within miles are reserved for bicyclists and runners.
If you are trying to time your arrival to get to see me, your best bet is to plan to be IN the Park during the range of time I expect to come in/go out between sports. You'll want to add approx a half hour onto your travel time to make sure you get to the spectating area in time.

Here's what the race site says: "There WILL BE BUSES on Sunday morning transporting participants and spectators from Cumberland Fire Department (parking area designated with Event Parking signs), which is 1.5 miles north of Nolte State Park. "


No comments:

Post a Comment