"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

I have caught the sickness

I think it is a strange and sick thing that when I realized I had a three day holiday weekend coming up, my first thought was SWEET! 3 whole days to get tons of training in! Yup, I have caught the sickness indeed.

Today was great with a nice long swim with some friends, and then later a fast shorter run pushing the kiddo. I also had some giddy shopping at the REI clearance, where I found an official tri suit on sale in my size. I bought it, not because I couldn't race in something else, but it makes me feel fast and sleek and official, and that counts for something.

I think that the Aquathon really helped me turn a corner on my confidence level. Now instead of quaking in fear when I think of race day approaching, I actually am starting to look forward to it. I also sent out a somewhat SOS appeal to some more experienced triathletes imploring them for advice, and their words of support and encouragement also really helped. I am so grateful for the great people I have met through this sport.

Now off to tend to that 4th oft-neglected pillar of training: rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment