"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fitting it all in

I was interviewed for an article for the River Current News about my triathlon, and she asked me with some astonishment, 'How do you fit it all in?' It's a question I get not infrequently, and I wish I had a good answer for her in that moment.

But I've been thinking it about it since then, and here's my answer.

Our family has decided that caring for our health is a non-negotiable. That is, it's great if we are able to do other things, but time for exercise, and for preparing and eating wholesome foods comes first.
And that's how we fit it in.
First.

Practically speaking:
Yesterday I got home from work, threw the kid in the stroller, and raced off on a tempo run. (Tempo is a run faster than you would like. Another word for it might be a torture run). I got back, changed clothes, grabbed a bite for my son and I, and headed off to a meeting for church. When we got home, I put him to bed, relaxed for a while then followed suit.

Tonight I'm all set up for popping him in the bike stroller and jetting out on a bike ride. Then I'll bring something for him to eat while he comes to a City Council meeting with me for a work presentation. When we get home, he'll go to bed. I'd like to say I'll clean the house then go to bed too, but likely I'll relax for a little instead.

And that's how it works. Not every evening is like this, but some are. It does take a decision to do it, and it does take some pre-planning. But my body is still ALL DAY LONG. Sitting. I figure the least I can do is wedge a quick 30 minute workout in there. Bodies are not designed to be sedentary, and they work better when you move.

How do you fit it all in?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this.. I often wonder how to fit it all in... I appreciate hearing how others do it. Way to go Amara!!!

    ReplyDelete