"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Friday, September 17, 2010

So you think you might wanna come watch, huh?

I have a had a few people inquire about what it might be like to come spectate at the race next Sunday. I so love that you are considering it. And, I know that it will take up your entire Sunday morning, and then a smidge more, so I will have no hurt feelings if you decide not to. If you want to read a hilarious account of what it is like to spectate, check out this blog post another blogger/triathlete wrote up. WARNING: do not click if you do not like swearing words. The author very much does.

I will say that the race experiences I've had were really interesting, and the energy is electric and friendly. You'll get to see a sea of racked bikes, or athletes zipping in and out both on bikes and on foot, and grandkids cheering on their grandpa with sweet homemade signs, and overweight beginner athletes proudly crossing the finish line. It's pretty neat.

My total shot-in-the-dark ESTIMATED times:

Swim Start: 9am
Swim Finish, Bike Start: 9:30 - 9:40
Bike Finish, Run Start: 10:45 - 11:09
Run and FINAL Finish: 11:35 - 12:15

The fastest times I came up with by adding the fastest times I have recorded, the later times the slowest. I don't how much time to add on for the fatigue of the distance, nor how much time to subtract for the adrenaline and excitement of actually racing. Basically, plan to be at the transition area by the early time, then expect to wait for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment