"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Friday, September 17, 2010

An Ode to Spectators - especially my sweet husband.

You get up early.
You drive long distances.
You schlep our gear.
You fuel us up.
You stand rooted at one spot and wait. And wait. And hold off using the restroom. And ignore the rain. And cheer on strangers. And cheer madly and wildly for the 5 seconds that your athlete whizzes by.
You put up with us when we are jittery and cranky pre-race.
You bring extra clothes because you know we might need them later.
You bring extra bananas in case of...well, bananas are always good to have in case.
You listen and listen to the complete and detailed and babbled and not-always-non-sequiter reporting of every second of the race.
You manage to mostly be interested.
You take picture after picture after picture.
You spur us on, knowing you are there, knowing you are waiting, knowing you are pulling for us, hearing your cheers and encouragement.

Thank you.

(there is a video of said waiting that I would LOVE to upload and have had no success with. If you are familiar with blogger and could tech-spot me I would really like to include it with this post. Leave me a comment or shoot me an email. thanks)

1 comment:

  1. Spectating is really pretty stressful, especially if you are herding kids or if it’s raining or too hot. It can be exhausting so I appreciate this post. But for those few moments during the race when as a spectator you get to cheer for your athlete, it’s all worthwhile! It’s also pretty amazing to be the athlete and hear those cheers from your loved ones, nothing is more encouraging!

    ReplyDelete