"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Friday, August 27, 2010

You put me over a cool G!

I got four more donations in the last 2 days that tipped me over the $1000 mark. I'm now up to $1,026.50. YES! Thank you very much.

I also got out on a training ride this evening after work with my training buddy. About 75 minutes at a pretty good clip. I'm on my way!!

At the Senior Center we're gearing up for a tremendous 35th anniversary party this Saturday night:
Blue Hawaiian. For those not in the know (this included me) Blue Hawaii = Hawaii theme + Elvis.

So, yup, to celebrate the fact that Sno-Valley Seniors was started 35 years ago by volunteers, we're going to nosh on a delish Hawaiian buffet (cooked by volunteers) in a room decorated (by volunteers) to the hilt in Hawaiian-themed decor (4 feet flip-flops, anyone?), enjoying our beautiful old Oddfellows Hall building (cleaned by volunteers), watch not one but TWO community talent shows (uh, yup, volunteers).

And finally, a professional Elvis impersonator (the only non-volunteer of the evening but on all reports totally worth it) will put on a show for us. And the whole thing has been completely planned, organized, and executed by volunteers.

It's a great reminder of the reason I'm doing this race and this fundraiser. The effort of the volunteers is just phenomenal at this place. They truly are the heart and soul of the Center, and work so hard to pull events like this off. Hours have gone into the planning, and it should be a ton of fun.

If you're anywhere in the area, I invite you to join us. Here's the link for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment