"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Well, I am happy to report that our 35th anniversary party last night was an unqualified success. The volunteers put on a spectacular, seamless event; Elvis was not only enormously entertaining but genuine; and everybody left with a huge smile on their face. The planning committee decided from very early on that they didn't want to make this another fundraiser. They just wanted everybody come and have fun at a great party. And, they did.

Except the 85 year old I found sitting by himself on the stairs, and when I asked if he was feeling okay, grumbled about how he had never liked 'this guy' being Elvis...'bunch of racket, if you ask me.'

I feel very honored to be in this role at this time in this organization's history. I spoke at the event, a little bit about that. I'll share it here when I have a second to type it up. The place really is amazing.

Today was all about recuperating from the week. A great church service with jazz and blues music that had our staid protestant church up on their feet cheering, and then...

A great 2.5 hour bike ride, my longest ever, featuring the following:
  • the longest coyote sighting I've had - it watched me watching it for a good 3 minutes before trotting off
  • gorgeous country roads with towering Mt Si accenting the drama
  • my first on-the-road flat ever! Good practice, since in a race its not permitted for others to help you. You hafta fix yur own. I am happy to report that I was successful and kept on truckin! Wish I had snapped some pics for you.
I felt so great and proud after. Wow! I did that! Training is great for marking progress. I remember when I pulled off my first ultra-long ride, a 2 hour ditty around our Valley. I came home, collapsed into bed, and slept hard for two hours. Today I feel good. Ready for some dinner for sure, but good.

This evening is all about tackling this poor neglected home. Between work hours, trying to stick with training, actually spending time with each other, the house definitely gets the short end of the stick.

When I'm leaving dishes in the sink and head out to get some exercise, I try to remind myself that investment in my body today pays enormous dividends later, and that the dishes still will be there when I get back. How do you juggle your commitments with the commitment of exercising and good health?

No comments:

Post a Comment