"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Race Report...the preparation

Olympic Race Report

Preparation

I got up about 5 am, and packed up the car (in the pouring rain!). We loaded up the sleeping boy, picked up our babysitter – who was a trouper to be ready and game at 6am – and headed to Black Diamond, about an hour away. Of course as soon as we pulled away I panicked that I had forgotten something, wished I had checked once more that I had everything packed. Over and over, I asked Leif – you’re SURE you packed my helmet? You’re SURE you put my gear bag in? etc. He was very good humored about it and just answered me each time.

There's the magic bag of gear

Sipped coffee and ate pb&j sandwich for breakfast. I managed to eat most all of my breakfast before we started getting closer and suddenly my stomach completely shut down: nerves.

I was really proud of the sign I had made. It says,


1 tri-newbie + 2 sponsors (thank you Aunt Chris and Snoqualmie Valley Hospital!) + 93 donors = $5124 for rural seniors

We made it there in fine time and pulled into the race parking lot at about 7:20. Butterflies. I was amazed to see so many athletes there already, the parking lot looked to be completely full. Thankfully we slipped into a spot that others moved out of. I was glad because it was still POURING at that point and I wanted the security of a dry car for the kiddo and babysitter to hang out in.

I was really glad to be there at the exact time I had hoped to be there. I have done races where I got to the race site late and it just adds to the nerves in an unhelpful way. So, my anxiety went way down once we had arrived.

Got checked in no problem, and started setting up my area. I was so happy to be there and start this dang race already! Set up my area. For those non-familiar-with-triathlons, there’s an area in which you transition from one sport to another. All your gear that you need is in one spot, and triathletes can get very specific about exactly how it is laid out, because ideally you zip in and out of there as fast as you can. My assigned spot was just about the worst I could get, with a really long run out with bike in hand. That’s what I get for signing up early I guess! (my race number was 96).

Once I got my gear set up, then the crowds really arrived. I put my shoes on and had a nice 10 minute easy warm up run. Then it was time to get the wetsuit on and go listen to the race meeting. I managed to squeak in a wee swim also, getting the shoulders ready to roll.


hmmm, this woman looks a bit nervous...




Men's Sprint wave starting

It was a long time from getting my wetsuit on till the time I actually raced – about 40 minutes. Olympic women distance was the last to go. There were under 50 of us. It was fun to count down for all the other racing groups that left before us.


Hooray for my race cheering squad, standing there in the rain! I kept hoping it would lighten up for the seniors I knew were coming later.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading the blow by blow! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete