"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"

"Aging is an Endurance Sport... I'm just trying to keep up!"
I am training for my first Olympic-distance triathlon: 1 mile swim; 25 mile bike; 6 mile run. This crazy adventure is a fundraiser to honor the endurance and courage of the seniors I work with at the Sno-Valley Senior Center.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What does a triathlon have to do with seniors?

Okay, I admit it. It's not a completely logical jump from racing in a triathlon to honoring seniors. It's not like, say, climbing Mt. Rainier to support lung health. But, racing in my first tri , I got to thinking about the seniors I work with (an hour and a half gives you a long time to think). How day after day they get up, and, staring down the face of their various aches and ailments, they get on with their days. They mow their grass. They take notes at our board meeting. They bake pies for us. They get the job done. And it moved me to move a little faster! If they can do that, I thought, I can do this.

And, in the crazy race-afterglow of my first sprint triathlon, I thought...if I could do THAT...I can do an OLYMPIC DISTANCE! And raise money for my seniors! In their honor! Yes, in the afterglow you do actually talk to yourself in all caps and all exclamation points.

So, I told a few people I was considering it...and then I told a few more...and then I wrote it down in a newsletter that 500 people read...so now I guess I'd better get to training!

Because if they can do that...I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment